Whether you are seasoned traveler or a first time explorer, it is important to make sure that you save time to handle the important things before leaving out on your adventure. We all know the basics: putting mail on hold, discontinuing the paper service, and making sure your lawn and property are well-maintained while you are away. However, I have a few other items to add to the checklist what you should not leave home without doing (just in case you are in a rush and forget).
- Notify your credit card company, if you plan to use your cards while away.
- Turn off the main water supply… BUT, if it is winter time, and you are in a place that is known for harsh winters, make sure you take additional precautions to prevent freezing and pipes bursting.
- Do not forget your pets (including the fish). Leave them with a trusted friend or family member or board them.
- Make sure you leave a copy of your itinerary with a trusted friend or family member.
- Make physical copies of your itineraries, ground transportation services, and points-of-contact, just in case you are not able to access your digital devices or email accounts while away.
- Unplug all unnecessary devices and electronic equipment.
- Confirm all reservations a few days prior to departure. Hotels can overbook during peak season and rental car agencies can sometimes have a shortage. If traveling by air or rail, make sure you confirm the departure times.
- Do not forget your chargers for the electronic devices. Remember to charge your devices prior to your departure.